Okontoe is a family-friendly campground with 32 campsites, 11 of which are designated seasonal lease sites.
Our campsites can accommodate tents and smaller RVs (we suggest a 24-foot maximum). Two sites are pull-through and are able to host a large RV.
Several of our sites are lakeside or lake view, some are private, others more open and perfect for group camping. A few of them have electric available and there’s a dump station near the Shower House if you need it.
For those who’ve been around Okontoe a long time, our flushies aren’t in use anymore. But there are outhouses and porta-potties in various locations. We will be upgrading all our outhouses in 2023.
The Shower House has two showers on each side—Guys and Gals—as well as sinks and a mirror.
We don’t have water hook-ups, but you may fill your reservoirs at the cold-water spigots located throughout the campground. There’s a dumping station on-site and garbage is collected regularly.
There’s no cell service in our area of the Gunflint Trail but there’s limited Wi-Fi at our camp Library/Office to check in at home, to see the weather forecast or other quick online tasks. Enjoy your media fast 🙂
Bow Lake is a non-motorized lake. There’s no boat launch, but you’re welcome to bring your own canoes, kayaks or stand-up paddleboards and launch at the beach, the canoe launch or your lakeside campsite.
We are a Christian non-profit ministry that offers cabin and campsite rentals. We ask that you honor our family-friendly atmosphere and no-alcohol policy. Quiet hours are 10pm to 8am daily.
Also available in the Campground:
- Small swimming beach (no life guard on duty)
- Canoes, paddles and life jackets are available for your use. You must keep them on the property—they are only for use on Bow, Quiver and Shoko Lakes. They cannot be transported to other lakes (Okontoe does not carry an Outfitter/Guide permit). If you want to canoe on other area lakes, here’s a list of Gunflint Trail outfitters who will be happy to accommodate you.
Well-behaved dogs are welcome for no extra fee.
- Please keep them leashed or under your direct control at all times…
- Pick up after them before leaving for home…
- Don’t leave them unattended in your campsite…
- If your dog barks excessively or is bothering other campers, you may be asked to leave out of respect for our other guests.
- Our property is surrounded by thousands of acres of wilderness that’s home to many predators. Be sure you keep track of your dog(s), especially small ones.
2023 Campground Rates
Our campground is open May 26-October 22, 2023. The water in the campground (including the Shower House) is turned off around the 3rd week of September to prevent our water lines from freezing.
- Daily campsite fee for one nuclear family or up to 6 people: $35/non-electric site or $40 electric site
- Group campsites for groups of 7-12 people (non-nuclear family): $35/night for the first 7 people, plus $5/night for each additional person
- We ask for full payment at the time of your reservation (see our Cancellation Policy here).
- Pets: free (you must clean up after them before leaving)
- Firewood is available: $3/bundle of kiln-dried pine (by the Garden Bunkhouse) or $6/bundle of cut, split and seasoned birch. Please don’t bring firewood from outside Cook County (this is a Minnesota DNR regulation to keep unwanted pests out of our area).
- Canoes are included with your campsite, along with paddles and life jackets (our canoes must stay on our local lakes: Bow, Quiver and Shoko).
- Non-camper showers: $5/person
If you find this pricing beyond what you can afford and need assistance, please let us know. We’d love to talk with you and see what we can work out.
See our Local Attractions & Activities page
Are you a current or retired minister or missionary?
If you are, we want to bless you! Please email email@example.com for information on getting a reduced rate for one of our cabins or campsites.
Want to be able to spend more time at Okontoe? Check out our Seasonal Lease Campsites
We are a Christian non-profit ministry with a campground and retreat cabins. We welcome all who respect our values. Our property is alcohol-free and family-friendly. Quiet hours are 10:00 pm – 8:00 am.